Sunday, September 18, 2011

Summer gardening

I am loving the great experience I have had gardening this year. I have canned beets and pickled, stewed and italian stewed tomatoes, hot and mild salsa, bread and butter, dill pickles, raspberry jam, pepper jelly, and relish. Still need to do green beans, cinnamon pickles and dill pickles but I am enjoying seeing all the pretty bottles of food going into the storage room.
Here is what the green house is looking like these days. I still have tomatoes that are rippening and the pickles are growing huge, for cinnamon pickles, and then some for dill pickles. The basil is ready to pick again to make pesto. The okra I am not sure what to do with but the flowers are pretty amazing. I am hoping to get enough peppers still to can some jalepenos and some chilis and possible make another couple of batches of salsa. The celery is turning out better than I expected. I asked around on the technique on how to grow celery and from what I understand people just don't grow it. I will be storing it in the dark storage room over the winter and hoping it will continue to grow next year.

The lady bugs have been a huge help this year. I had a pretty obnoxious aphid problem and brought in 5000 lady bugs. Problem solved! They have migrated outside and around the neighborhood but with so many of them around, when I see aphids on anything I pick up a handful of my little helpers and the problem is taken care of. The pepper plants and the brussel sprouts were the worst. I have learned a lot but feel like this years harvest is quite successful.

All in all I have no doubt in my mind everyone around this area needs a green house. Mine has made a huge difference. Never have I canned this much in one year. Hopefully more canning to come still. There are also a few things I won't be planting in the green house next year. #1 no zucchinni, melons or squash. they take over and have to be trimmed every couple of days just so they don't smother out other plants #2 I will start my corn in the green house but then I will transplant it outside. It is too hard for a shorty like me to polinate the plants so often and the corn dust was very harsh on the alergies.

No comments:

Post a Comment